Friday, July 27, 2012

Quotes Board DIY

I am totally bored with my room. It's been the same since I was a Freshman. I'm a Senior. My bulletin board still says 'Cornerstone 2010.' It's 2012....the END of 2012.

THIS IS A PROBLEM. 

To cure my space restlessness, I will probably be posting a lot of DIYs (YAY) and organization ideas. So let's start with that awful bulletin board! 
As I said before, I love quotes and have stumbled upon (literally) many fantastic quotes I don't want to forget and would love to display around my space. The problem is I'm not allowed to make new holes in my walls to hang things. The solution? QUOTES BOARD! 







 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



 You will need:

  • Chalkboard paint
  • scissors (I remembered them this time!!) 
  • small pins
  • magazines 
  • green paper
  • a pencil (which I forgot to include :( ) 
  • printed quotes :)
  • glue stick

Step 1:




 Paint a large rectangle on your bulletin board. This will take a few coats because the cork likes to soak it in. I already had mine done from a previous project. Wait for it to dry.

Step 2:




 Flip through your magazine and cut out pages that have articles on them. Cut out branches from those pages and begin to tack them onto your board. There is really no way to mess this up, even if your not a fantastic artist. Just draw a thick tube that narrows to a point, then add one or two smaller points onto the first tube.
Continue cutting and pinning branches until your board looks like this:


 Use chalk to label the board. Suggestions:
Quotes
Beautiful Words
Words
A wise man once said...
Shut up and Listen!

Step 3:



Now it's time for the leaves. These are a little tricky to freehand (like I did) if drawing isn't your thing. There are plenty of websites out there that have leaf patters you could print and use. Here's a good one: http://0.tqn.com/d/scrapbooking/1/0/R/e/fallleafpattern.jpg
I used around 17 leaves. Make sure you make them big enough to fit your quotes on! Cut them out.

Step 4:




Before you put the quotes on the leaves, pin them where you want them to go on the tree. This will prevent you from putting your quotes all the same direction on the leaves, which makes for a pretty boring looking tree. Vertical leaves will work for shorter quotes, and horizontal leaves for longer ones.

Step 5:




Take one leaf off the tree at a time and make sure you take notice of which way it was facing. Now begin cutting out your quotes in small strips. You'll have to break them up to get them to fit on the leaves, but I see this as a challenge. I try to cut them between words and in places that will make it sound more poetic. Try cutting between different word groups and see how the words flow in your mind when you read it. For example, the quote on this leaf says 'Sometimes God calms the storm, sometimes God calms the sailor, but sometimes He makes us swim.' ~NOTW. I cut it up into groups like this:

'Sometimes God calms the storm,
Sometimes God calms the sailor,
But sometimes He makes us swim.'
~NOTW

Step 5:


Keep cutting and pinning quotes until you use all the leaves. Ta da! Now your Quotes Board is finished! You could even add pictures to some of the leaves or detail to the bottom of the board. Get creative and make it your own! 

Here are some of my leaves and examples of cutting and grouping words





Happy Crafting!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE THAT THESE ARE ALL QUOTES FROM MY TUMBLR MOSTLY <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaha yeah they are...pretty much all x) I LOVE YOUR TUMBLR lol

    ReplyDelete