Saturday, July 7, 2012

Double Chevron Nails

I work in the garden a lot during the summer, so my nails always look...well, less than clean. To hide that, I love designing my nails in fun and easy ways! The great thing about the technique I'm about to show you is that you don't have to limit yourself to Double Chevrons. You can easily create any design you can think of!
Today, I'm going to show you how to do Double Chevron Nails :)



You will need:


  • Scotch tape
  • top coat
  • 3 different colors of nail polish...1 base color and 2 chevron colors
  • scissors 
  • fingernail clippers
  • something to stick the tape on (I used the lid of my change jar)


Step 1:


Paint on some top coat, which is probably unnecessary vitally important when doing anything with your nails. 

Step 2:



While your waiting for your top coat to dry, rip off two good sized pieces of tape. 


Paint them the colors you are going to use for your chevrons. You may need to do a couple of coats to get the right color since the tape is clear...but it dries pretty fast, which is nice. 

Step 3:


Paint your nails the base color. I chose Vintage gray...I'm not really a gray person at all, but for some reason I really like the look of this color :). 

Step 4:



Cut the painted tape into very small strips (along with width of the tape, not the length). If you're very careful, you can do this while your nails are drying. (Or just wait for your nails to dry first....nails can only look so good when they've been touched up 100 times)  

Step 5:


Take a strip of blue and cut it in half. Carefully (you only get one shot at this if your nails aren't 100% bone dry) place one of the halves diagonally from the top corner of your nail to the center. Then do the same with the other half. Repeat for every nail. Do the same with the white, and place it right up against the blue. 

Step 6: 


Now trim the excess tape off your nail with the fingernail clippers. They work much better than scissors because clippers were made for small areas. Make sure to cut completely through the tape before you pull away (my clippers are dull and would rip off the tape if I wasn't careful).

Step 7:


Add another layer of top coat, which this time is actually very important to keep the tape down. 



Now you have beautiful Double Chevron nails! 
:)



No comments:

Post a Comment